[drupal-devel] How are patches to branches handled?

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Thu Feb 17 14:18:43 UTC 2005

On 13-Feb-05, at 2:28 PM, Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> I suggested 4.5.x.20050213, because if contrib packages are made
> daily, this is clear, it can be automatically detected, if a new
> version should be shipped or not (whether there was CVS activity on
> the module or not on that day, or better worded: before the last
> release), and it has no way to run out of possibilities. If releases
> can only be made daily. IMHO it should help a lot, if these versions
> would be done automatically when needed, without human intervention.
> It also increases the possibility of shipping something broken
> though...

I think this is an important issue - as a module maintainer it would be
much easier if a) users could visibly see that there had been a new
module release for, say the 4.5 version, and b) if when trying to
verify a bug i could say "what is the version / date of the module
you're using" rather than having to say "open up foobar.module and find
the cvs $Id$ tag at the top".

One nitpick : I'm not sure the '.x.' is required, as we all know
contrib is simply branched at DRUPAL-4-5 ... so I'd be infavour of
foobar.module.4.5.20050217.tar.gz

-j
--
James Walker  ::  http://www.walkah.net/