[drupal-devel] Theme engine roadmap

Steven Wittens steven at acko.net
Thu Feb 17 18:38:25 UTC 2005

Chris Cook wrote:

>I'm working on an original theme that I hope to contribute for
>inclusion in Drupal 4.6 as a default theme (assuming it is finished in
>time). Of course my dedication might wane before then as well...
>
>Can anyone in the know clarify the future plans for core theme
>engines. Based on comments at http://drupal.org/node/6493 and
>elsewhere XTemplate sounds doomed but phpTemplate has not been
>included in the distrubution to this date so it clearly is not an
>option.
>
>More importantly, what are the performance and code considerations for
>implementing each engine as the default? If this is documented
>somewhere else just point the way.

Core can live with both xtemplate and phptemplate. Xtemplate makes it
easy to edit themes with regular HTML/CSS tools, so it is in widespread
use in spite of its limited flexibility. Removing it is not an option
yet. PHPTemplate would be the preferred engine for advanced themes.

I'm currently working on a core phptemplate theme as well by the way ;).

Steven Wittens