[drupal-devel] contribs -- another idea

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Fri Feb 18 15:52:34 UTC 2005

Op vrijdag 18 februari 2005 15:50, schreef Negyesi Karoly:
> On Friday 18 February 2005 15.35, Bèr Kessels wrote:
> > Hi,
> > did you read my previous idea? It seems we have found the exact same
> > problems, only found different solutions. But.... These ideas can be
> > combined very easliy. Bundles would then be living in the reviewed area.
>
> Combination would be a very good thing. I do not beleive everything could
> be fit into the bundles conception -- for example, album relies on
> folksonomy and image. Htmlarea may depend on image. Would you bundle these
> together??
We would not. But once image module has a single API for adding images,
instead of having 8 (yes eight!) completely incopatible and different
modules/methods to add images to nodes, that htmlarea should use thjat
single, instead of having a private number 8. But if there is no good central
API, one that does not solve foobar.com only, but one that is *generel* and
*standard, because it is in the bundle, htmarea needs not to develop its own
image-addition system, but it can expand that existing central one.

You really hit core here, for image-addition triggered this mostly. We have 8
(!) systems for adding images, if you count conbiinations you might even get
as high as 12. But non of them are really friendly, nor are they finishhed.
Some require you to have a MIT grade to understand the UI, others introduce
odd filter systems, but all list some TODOs in the issues and READMEs. This
iondicates that none of them is finished,. At least I know that non of them
is good enough to become a standard.

> And bundles can be introduced as a step-by-step, case-by-case basis.
Sure.

> However, the current contributions IMHO must be weed out, and we would
> better stop handing out access to anyone... This is a short-term measure.
> Yours is a long-term one.
No, mine is not a long term one. IT is already set in motion for amazon
modules, links modules and will probably be done for the new image system.

Regards,
 Bèr
--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]