[drupal-devel] ShortStat for Drupal

Steven Wittens steven at acko.net
Tue Jan 18 23:42:25 UTC 2005

Chris Messina wrote:

>I would love to see ShortStat
>(http://www.shauninman.com/mentary/past/shortstat_beta_3.php) by Shaun
>Inman ported to Drupal or for its implementation to *at least* serve
>as a UI model to follow. I simply love how elegant it is and how easy
>it is to see, at a glance, what's going on with your site:
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/3518872/
>No flash: http://photos3.flickr.com/3518872_4622c752af_o.png
>Live: http://ryanberg.net/shortstat
>
>Does watchdog have the right hooks to make this page possible? Could I
>write it up in PHP and then style it accordingly? Note that I'm more
>interested with the Tuftesque presentation of the information rather
>than the analysis done by the actual statistics module.

Most of these blocks already exist in Drupal as separate stats/watchdog
pages with more information on them. Most of them just come down to
doing the right query and passing the formatted results to
theme('table'). The ones we don't have are browser and platform
detection. Also, I suspect the 'search strings' box actually displays
the strings extracted from referrers such as Google and friends, which
Drupal's search messages are searches performed using Drupal's own search.

Steven Wittens