[drupal-devel] ShortStat for Drupal

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 03:36:03 UTC 2005

It's not so much that I'm worried about writing browser detection into
the theme layer as I am catering to browsers which my audience doesn't
use. Check out this post for more information:

<snip>
Last month, I had posed the question: When can we hide from IE5/Win?.
In retrospect, I probably should've titled the entry: When can I hide
from IE5/Win?. Because, as others have rightfully pointed out, *what
matters most are the statistics from your own site, not others.*
</snip>

http://www.simplebits.com/notebook/2005/01/12/clarification.html

So the broader topic here, which is important to me and my audience,
is about giving the kind of wider statistical information to the user
that might normally get stuck in third-party stats packages.

You may have these packages and know how to use them, but a gross
majority of Drupal users a) won't have access or the means to see
these stats b) won't be able to install these packages (ie hosted
installs) c) won't want to go to a separate place to find out how
their website is performing.

With all due respect, I understand where you guys are coming from and
saying that Drupal should report on Drupal, but I do think that the
watchdog module is somewhat limited to a more general audience that
may not have access to third party solution (for whatever reason).

Therefore, if I can find someone to help code, I will gladly help
reform the current watchdog module into something a little more
robust, nimble and Tuftesque.

Any takers?

Chris