[drupal-devel] Re: ShortStat for Drupal

K B kbahey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 04:16:03 UTC 2005

Since I have requested/suggested features relating to statistics
before, let me pitch in and add my 2 cents' worth:

1. Drupal will never be able to provide some statistics, for example,
bandwidth usage, HTTP response sizes, ..etc. since it does not have
access to this feature. This level of detail is at the web server, and
not the application (at least in Drupal's case).

2. Drupal can add some of the features in a fairly straightforward
fashion, such as:

a. Daily/weekly/monthly statistics (number of hits [really page
views], which requires no database changes). If someone can suggest a
more ANSI way of getting the stats, I can change the patch I did a
while back on this. See http://drupal.org/node/15329

b. Web browser statistics (requires that the user agent be stored)

c. Extracting search engine keywords can be done (each search engine
has a special argument for the keywords, such as q= for google,
...etc. Webalizer configuration file lists them).

d. Others.

3. Something like Short Stats is nice to have, for 'at-a-glance' view.
However, I prefer the level of detail that specialized modules
provide, such as Webalizer.