[drupal-devel] Re: ShortStat for Drupal

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Wed Jan 19 06:13:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 23:16 -0500, K B wrote:
> Since I have requested/suggested features relating to statistics
> before, let me pitch in and add my 2 cents' worth:
>
> 1. Drupal will never be able to provide some statistics, for example,
> bandwidth usage, HTTP response sizes, ..etc. since it does not have
> access to this feature. This level of detail is at the web server, and
> not the application (at least in Drupal's case).

also information of files downloaded via public access, eg files
uploaded via the upload module, or attached to nodes.

> 2. Drupal can add some of the features in a fairly straightforward
> fashion, such as:
>
> a. Daily/weekly/monthly statistics (number of hits [really page
> views], which requires no database changes). If someone can suggest a
> more ANSI way of getting the stats, I can change the patch I did a
> while back on this. See http://drupal.org/node/15329

This would be really good to get a breakdown of this information.

> b. Web browser statistics (requires that the user agent be stored)

The statistics module (not the watchdog module) is storing this
information, adding the extra wouldn't be too hard.

> c. Extracting search engine keywords can be done (each search engine
> has a special argument for the keywords, such as q= for google,
> ...etc. Webalizer configuration file lists them).
>
> d. Others.
>
> 3. Something like Short Stats is nice to have, for 'at-a-glance' view.
> However, I prefer the level of detail that specialized modules
> provide, such as Webalizer.

This could be provided by an external contributed module quite easy,
This will just require the additional columns to be held.
--
Gordon Heydon <gordon at heydon.com.au>