[drupal-devel] rel=nofollow

Boris Mann borismann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 11:05:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:54:12 +0000, Gabor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu> wrote:
> >> I'm not sure that there is much point to this...spam.module is MUCH
> >> more effective at making this not a problem. And what if you WANT user
> >> submitted content to count towards pagerank? Like, say, people in
> >> forums constantly pointing to the same RTFM post.
> > i see a much point. maintaining spam.module is much harder than just
> > rewriting some links. the idea is not to rewrite internal links (such
> > as your forum example), but rather to rewrite external links.
>
> For external pages, it is just the same, you might just be happy with
> increasing some page's pagerank. On some forums, users tend to suggest
> others going to http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html or
> the native language translation of that before asking more questions :)
> Now it would clearly be positive, if these type of pages pagerank would
> raise :)

EXACTLY!

This is a very big hammer to be raising. I'm not sure what the effects
will be (I don't think anyone can, even Google, until it actually
starts to effect changes). I *am* interested to flip ahead to the end
of this story. May be the single biggest change in Google PR/Internet
traffic in history.

Chris: in your spam example on SpreadFirefox, wouldn't Jeremy's spam
module have unpublished all that content/comments? On my (obviously
much smaller) site, I have a big spam problem...so I just turn on
comment moderation for anonymous users. Spammers don't get links, but
they still spam. Why do people think it will stop because of this?
(I'm honestly puzzled by this).

In any case...if someone wants to implement, great -- please, just not
in core, or allow it to be turned off.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bryght.com