[drupal-devel] Introduction and Questions

Tim Altman web at timaltman.com
Wed Jan 19 10:16:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:03:14 -0000, Michael Jervis <mike at fuckingbrit.com>
wrote:

[...]

> I have another task in mind, a proper geeklog migration script. I was
> thinking a standalone PHP file, rather than a .module, as it would be a
> use
> once thing. Is there a standard way that has been used in the past for
> migration scripts? Or are they all ad-hoc things? I'll probably need to
> read
> conf.php to get the prefix, which makes me think about slotting into
> Drupal.
> But I'm not yet familiar enough with the Drupal system to know if I
> should/shouldn't etc.

	I've recently been working on a migration script for Blogger and have
written one for MovableType in the past.  You can find my current work in
my sandbox.  There's some information about migrating from Geeklog at
http://drupal.org/node/1080, too.
	If at all possible, we should use the same framework for importation
scripts, so it's easy to make a new importer plug-in.  That's what I've
been trying to do with the Blogger script.  I still have to rewrite the MT
importer to follow the same framework.  I'm quite open to reworking the
stuff I've done so far, as I've been making the framework as I've been
writing the Blogger plug-in and I haven't done anything like this in the
past.

--
Tim Altman