[drupal-devel] Dealing with spam (was rel=nofollow)

Steven Wittens steven at acko.net
Thu Jan 20 17:26:32 UTC 2005

>First of all it should be shared over a closed XML feed.
>We can use drupalIds and a special role to secure the ahraing (we dont want
>spammers to learn from our tokens).
>Both peers need to confirm sharing.
>If I remove something on my side, the XML feed must dictate (or propose)
>deletion on the other sides too. Otherwise it would be an ever growing blob.

It sounds like a great idea, but what prevents a spammer from setting up
a Drupal site, asking nicely for trust, and getting first hand updates
of our spam tokens? And if the effort is shared between CMSes, then all
a spammer needs to do is set up one fake site with any of the
participating engines.

In my opinion, any widespread anti-spam tool will get into the hands of
spammers, there's no way around that. However, as the spam tokens become
more refined, it will be harder for a spammer to circumvent them
(although I don't doubt the smart ones craft their messages
programmatically).

So I don't see why we should go through all this trouble of trust and
authentication, when simply making our spam tokens available for
everyone will have the same net effect...

Steven Wittens