[drupal-devel] ShortStat for Drupal

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Wed Jan 19 13:06:25 UTC 2005

Op woensdag 19 januari 2005 13:49, schreef Moshe Weitzman:
> > If its up to me, there wont be a lot of improvemnts in Core in 4.6. The
> > reason is simeple: WE need guidelines we all agree upon *above all*.
> > I know talk is silver code is gold. But that is *the exact* reason drupal
> > is so messy right now: Everyone opesn his PHP editor, codes away,
> > focussing on speed, efficency and nice code. Which is good. But coders
> > nearly always seem to forget to look at themeability and useability.
> > Simply because its not in their line of interest (often)
>
> I disagree.
>
> It is great that you want to lead a team to write HIG for Drupal. I hope
> you succceed in publishing those. But to stop development until these HIG
> are published is silly. The HIG are vaporware, just like all the promised
> patches to add "ADODB layer" or "comments as nodes" or "groupware" or
> "webdav".

It is indeed still vapourware, but vapurware that starts too look
promising. :)

> Drupal is not "so messy" IMO. It is so clean. Have you looked at other
> similar projects? I suppose this is a matter of taste.

We should  never, ever say: "we are better then others, thus we can stop
improving". Thats sillyness.

And if i compare drupal to some closed source CMSes i've seen, or to
blogger.com or other /services/ we have a very, very long road to go,
useability-wise.

> Coders who want to contribute to core don't just just focus on "speed,
> efficiency, and nice code" if they want to get their patch accepted. You
> have to get everything exactly right. You have to use a form group around
> multiple related controls, you have to use css in a sparse manner, you
> have to use a sortable table when data might want to be sorted. And so on.
> Skip any of those steps (and many more) and the patch languishes.

Maybe now, yes. But that does not count for contributions. And worse: it does
not count for all those silly things that are still in core from long ago. J

> > Because of all this, we really need talk, agreements and ideas. Not code.
> > So if you want useabiltiy code into 4.6, youve got a huge pile of work to
> > do.
>
> Talk is fine, but I discourage getting in the way of the code until HIG is
> non vaporware.

I never meant this as "Dont code untill i say so". I meant it as "Please
rather help us getting this streight for once and all, insteasd of improving
tidbits here and there"

So are any people interested in helping? Ive got some interresting (IMO) stuff
for review.

--
Regards,
 Bèr