[drupal-devel] [bug] Clean up Administer - Users - Configure

Steven drupal-devel at drupal.org
Thu Jan 27 13:55:39 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    user.module
 Category:     bug reports

"1. Shouldn't we switch the 'roles' and 'permission' tabs? Normally, one
first configures some roles before assigning permissions (but I might be
wrong)."

You have a point, but this way the permissions screen, which is IMO
more frequently used than the roles screen, is available with one click
from the administer menu. Given that we regularly get questions about
'problems' that are simply permission misconfigurations, this would
seem like a good thing. Not every site sets up custom roles.

"2. 'add' and 'check' are slightly inconsistent. Elsewhere we have 'add
foo' and 'check foo'."

Hmm, you're right that we had "add foo" in most places, but then we
/don't/ have "view node" and "edit node", but "view" and "edit". What
is the reasoning behind this? In this case, each operation applies to
the noun in the parent tab ('access rule').
A while ago Stefan made a large patch to further remove nouns in local
tasks when their meaning could be inferred (and even in cases where
this was less so, like the filter admin). This patch was committed.

3. Maybe 'users - configure - profiles' should become 'users -
profiles'? And 'users - configure - settings' just 'users -
configure'?

I'm not sure of what the current standard is for placing items under
"adminster - settings" or under "administer". "Users - configure -
settings" is already simply "users - configure", as there are no other
subtabs left there.

Steven

Previous comments:

January 27, 2005 - 04:41 : Steven

The current page we have at "administer - users - configure" contains
several important pages: roles, permissions, access rules and user
profiles. These 4 items are buried too deep and are thus hard to find.
I also think that roles/permissions/access rules are not really related
to the users (i.e. the people) but more with the accounts that are
linked to them.

Most things are described by this illustration with Kika-style notes
;)
http://acko.net/dumpx/clean-up-admin-users.png

This patch also fixes a couple of small things, like adding
drupal_gotos or improving the contextual help a bit.

January 27, 2005 - 04:54 : Steven

Sorry, I forgot some paths in profile.module. Better patch attached.

January 27, 2005 - 04:58 : Boris Mann

Looks good, Steven.

Can we call "access rules" something else? The "long" description is
that they are username and email filters. What is a short name that
better indicates this?

Maybe:
* user filters (might imply sorting users)
* account filters (username + email is always required -- I like this
one the best)
* account rules (this one is OK too)

January 27, 2005 - 05:19 : Steven

I like "account rules", but it's in fact longer than "access rules". But
it's clearer and they do only apply to accounts on registration, not on
the access when using an account.

January 27, 2005 - 05:47 : Steven

Another possibility for the third tab is "registration".

I that case, we could move the account registration settings
(registration allows, with or without approval, etc) there too (they
are currently still placed in administer - users - configure, but there
are no other subtabs anymore there). However, the registration settings
do contain more than just control, there's also stuff like the welcome
text and avatar settings. So the old page would probably still remain
there, with some settings moved to the new location, which sounds like
a bad idea.

January 27, 2005 - 06:21 : Boris Mann

I wouldn't move any other registration stuff there. Remember, the path
would actually read as "Access Control > Registration", which makes
sense exactly for what's there.

Is longer bad? Either "registration" or "account rules" are both good,
but my +1 would be for "account rules".

January 27, 2005 - 12:59 : tangent

The changes I see in the screenshot seem to be a usability improvement
overall. I will probably need to think about it longer to explore
possible disadvantages but I have a couple of comments.

1. The help text added to profile.module could probably be improved
(e.g., "in in")
2. From a quick glance, it seems that user.module currently provides
access control but I'm wondering if access control will remain there
after more development has (hopefully) been done here (e.g., node level
permissions, taxonomy based permissions, permission groups). If it were
to be moved to a separate module then these UI changes would make even
more sense.

January 27, 2005 - 14:29 : Dries

1. Shouldn't we switch the 'roles' and 'permission' tabs?  Normally, one
first configures some roles before assigning permissions (but I might be
wrong).

2. 'add' and 'check' are slightly inconsistent.  Elsewhere we have 'add
foo' and 'check foo'.

3. Maybe 'users - configure - profiles' should become 'users -
profiles'?  And 'users - configure - settings' just 'users -
configure'?

4. What worries me slightly is that the 'access' stuff is really about
user-level access and not about node-level or block-level access.
Either way, this sounds like a big improvement.

Edit: http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/16271