[drupal-devel] Drupal foundation / non-profit

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Sun Jul 3 05:35:21 UTC 2005

Kieran Lal wrote:
> CivicSpace Labs is now a non-profit organization.
>

> We are about as close a match to a Drupal foundation as you are going
> to get.
>
> Does that work for you all?
>
> Kieran

Kieran,

Can you be a bit more precise?  Is CivicSpace Labs a non-profit only?  Or does
it also have IRS tax-exempt status?  Does it constitute a charity for
contributions, as a 501(c)3 organization would?  (I suppose I could go read
the list of approved charities at the IRS site, but I think it's pertinent here.)

For myself, being able to contribute and deduct it from my taxes as an
individual is a useful feature.  I'll contribute more money in such a case,
since the government is essentially paying half the cost for me.

For business entities contributing to a Drupal foundation, it's not as
complicated.  They only need to show it as a business expense and they can
deduct it, non-profit or not.

Thanks.

--
Chris Johnson