[drupal-devel] Drupal foundation / non-profit

Brian Puccio brian at brianpuccio.net
Sun Jul 3 08:00:20 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 23:08 -0400, David Norman wrote:
> Boris Mann wrote:
> > Some devil's advocate questions:
> > How much does non-profit / tax deduction matter? Does it *have* to be
> > a non-profit? There are tax-write offs, and then there are business
> > write offs.
> I'd say if you're going to forfeit profits, go all the way and get the
> IRS recognition paperwork filed for the USA's entity. If you want to
> play devil's advocate, I think a better question might be to ask whether
> the Drupal entity should be run for-profit. Developers are a large part
> students right now, but at some point they're going to need regular
> income that a for-profit unit could theoretically provide.

A non-profit organization can and often does have paid staff.  I'm not
100% familiar with the regulations regarding staff salaries in
non-profits, but as far as I know, a non-profit entity could provide the
same salary that a for-profit entity could.  I think speaking with an
attorney, or at the very least someone who is very knowledgeable of
these things, in whatever country is chosen is required.