[drupal-devel] [task] Removed plpgsql dependency for PostgreSQL users by updating (pg)SQL function definitions

Dries drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sun Jul 3 15:43:30 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/26091
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/26091

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    postgresql database
 Category:     tasks

Waiting for a review from Adrian. I don't have a PostgreSQL setup.

Dries

Previous comments:

June 30, 2005 - 18:32 : Smirnov

In /database/database.pgsql/ many of the functions such as
*greatest(integer, integer)* were defined with /plpgsql/. This patch
simply changes the definitions a bit to use regular SQL (SELECT) -- so
users won't have to load /plpgsql/ with /createlang/ anymore.

In addition, I have updated the *IF(expr1,expr2,expr3)* function to
reflect MySQL's definition of it [1]. Before *expr1* always had to be
passed as a /boolean/, and now it is /anyelement/. Also now *expr1* is
true if it's both NOT NULL and  0. Anyways, this means that if Drupal
modules are passing integers when using the sql *IF()* function, the
query will now work.

NOTE: The IF() function is not ANSI SQL, perhaps in a later patch we
can replace all usage of it with CASE?
[1] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/control-flow-functions.html

June 30, 2005 - 18:33 : Smirnov

If this issue to add installation instructions for PG [2] gets approved
and committed then please use this patch to update /INSTALL.txt/ so
that it no longer mentions plpgsql.
[2] http://drupal.org/node/25792