[drupal-devel] User experience research plan for administration

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Fri Jul 22 21:13:34 UTC 2005

Hello, we have put together a team of professional user experience
leaders and members of the Drupal and CivicSpace community to start a
major push to improve the user experience of administration in
Drupal.   I'd like to introduce Peter Van Dijck, author of
Information Architecture for Designers and Bob Goodman a user
experience professional and User Experience Network ambassador for
Boston.   Peter and Bob will be advising us in this effort to improve
Drupal administration.  Dries will be leading the effort for Drupal
administration re-design and I'll be leading the effort for
CivicSpace which is a distribution of Drupal with contributed modules
(and much more!).   Charlie Lowe who heads the Drupal documentation
team and is a lecturer at Purdue university will be advising with
audience research, a discipline in which he has expertise.

Here is the general outline of the plan.

1) Conduct Audience research
1.1) Identify a subset of users for live voice interviews or email
interviews.

1.2) Based on the analysis of the the interviews above, create a
broad survey for audience research.

1.3) Make a list of problem areas/goals of the redesign and prioritize.

2) Develop Information architecture for new administration interface.

3) Develop prototype interfaces and iteratively test with users

Dries will be traveling for the next few weeks so I'll be
coordinating the audience research for both Drupal and CivicSpace and
report progress back to him at a presentation in Portland.  Drupal
currently has 31 modules and CivicSpace has over 60 so this is a long
term project.   We will need help in many areas.  In particular, we
are interested in people who can conduct voice interviews for around
60 minutes to help in this first phase.  We require help with
developing site maps, wireframes, flow diagrams, and functional
notes.  Finally, we are going to require distributed video and audio
capture set-up so that our usability testers can interact with users
around the world and see in real time the issues users experience.
People with skills in setting up video and audio capture can help.

Everyone if very excited about this project and we look forward to
having broad participation with the community.

Cheers,
Kieran