[drupal-devel] [bug] patch: allow url_alias paths to have arguments

Steven drupal-devel at drupal.org
Mon Jul 25 08:44:58 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/27206
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/27206

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.6.0
 Component:    base system
 Category:     bug reports

First, I'm not sure if this is desirable. Without at least some examples
it is hard to tell.

However, it seems to me that without similar changes in the
path-to-alias conversion, we get very inconsistent path handling. I
imagine you want to create links to argumented aliases yourself, but
Drupal would only output identical aliases. This goes against the idea
that URLs should be unique identifiers as much as possible.

Also please submit proper patches in unified diff format. Otherwise it
is very hard to see what has changed. Take a look at Drupal's coding
conventions too. And why are you calling clone() on a string? Strings
are passed and assigned by value.

Steven

Previous comments:

Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:39:01 +0000 : jhenry

Currently, urls that use the url_alias table do not allow arguments.
This is not desirable because it is useful to be able to specify
arguments on a script that is aliased without having to refer to it by
node number.

The code below replaces the drupal_get_normal_path() function in
common.inc to allow aliased paths to have arguments.

/**
 * Given a path alias, return the internal path it represents.
 */
function drupal_get_normal_path($path) {
  if (($map = drupal_get_path_map()) && isset($map[$path])) {
    return $map[$path];
  }
  elseif (function_exists('conf_url_rewrite')) {
    return conf_url_rewrite($path, 'incoming');
  }
  else {
    //look at each of the path components of $path and allow extra
components to be arguments
    //do a greedy search first for the largest paths
    if ($map && (strpos($path, '/') !== false)) {
      $newpath = clone($path);
      $args = '';
      while($path_end = strrpos($newpath, '/')) {
        $args = substr($newpath, $path_end).$args;
        $newpath = substr($newpath, 0, $path_end);
        //check to see if this new path exists in the path map
        if(isset($map[$newpath])) {
          return $map[$newpath].$args;
        }
      }
    }
    //no alias was found, return the original path
    return $path;
  }
}