[drupal-devel] [bug] User feedback if commenting on a closed node

killes drupal-devel at drupal.org
Fri Jul 29 01:28:41 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/10417
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/10417

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    comment.module
 Category:     bug reports

If I am not totally mistaken, this is just a watchdog message. I want
user feedback. this is needed for the evaluation.module where after
some time the postign to nodes gets disabled.

killes at www.drop.org

Previous comments:

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:37:40 +0000 : killes at www.drop.org

If a user (for whatever reason) tries to post to a node which doesn't
allow this, he currently doesn't get an error message. This patch fixes
this.

Sun, 05 Sep 2004 07:02:24 +0000 : killes at www.drop.org

recategorizing to show up in the patch queue.

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 02:42:24 +0000 : Steven

I'm not 100% sure about this patch. We don't normally cater to
inaccessible forms. I suppose the comment form is a candidate, when a
moderator disables commenting on a (heated?) topic while people are
still typing replies.
But are there more probably situations like this out there?

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 06:37:17 +0000 : killes at www.drop.org

As you mentioned the comment form isn't neccessarily inaccessible, the
sending of the comment might become later. We should present a
meaningfull message to the user in that case. I am developing a module
where you can only comment for a limited amount of time, so no message
is actually confusing.

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:03:14 +0000 : Dries

I don't think this needs fixing.

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:17:08 +0000 : killes at www.drop.org

I disagree. The user doesn't get a 403 or anything, just an empty "Post
comment" page.Tha's bad usability.

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:54:34 +0000 : drumm

+1

Although it is a rare case, this is a really simple fix that might as
well go in.

Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:02:44 +0000 : killes at www.drop.org

Updated to cvs. Better wording.

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:22:05 +0000 : TDobes

+1 from me too... although with one minor complaint: we want to say
"post" rather than "posts" in the error message.

Although this is a rare case, it is one users may sometimes
encounter... and a total lack of feedback as we have now is bad.

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:49:13 +0000 : Steven

There appears to be a similar message in core already now.