[drupal-devel] more core comitters

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 06:28:16 UTC 2005

On 28 Jul 2005, at 19:35, Robert Douglass wrote:

> I would also not be displeased if Dries and Steven appointed a
> third committer in a non-democratic fashion. In other words, I
> trust them to make a good decision without getting involved in a
> community discussion. They probably already know who thinks the
> most like they do. It could be that a third core committer will
> ease the backlog enough. I'm sure that having more than three Gods
> in the Heavens would also start to strain the decision process and
> make coordination harder. Until we do something more formal and
> drastic, maybe the answer is just one more person on the team.

I said this before and I'll say it again: the problem is not the
committing but the reviewing.  If people would spend more time
reviewing patches in a critical fashion, rather than semi-blindly
adding a '+1' without testing, that would come a long way.  I tend to
ignore +1's unless I sense that the commenter put time and effort in
evaluating a patch.  Furthermore, as Robert points out, adding more
committers is not going to make things easier -- it creates
conflicts.  I'm perfectly happy with the way things are and do not
intend to add another core committer at this point.  (That is not to
say that Moshe and Gerhard aren't doing a great job.  They'd be in my
top 5.)  Also, we're going to grow the server administration team so
that should/could free up some of my time.  Last but not least, I'll
work my way through the patch queue once I'm back.  With the server
going down and the fundraise, the past weeks have been exceptionally
busy -- especially behind the scenes.