[drupal-devel] more core comitters

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jul 29 09:21:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> I said this before and I'll say it again: the problem is not the
> committing but the reviewing.

No, one affects the other. In the past weeks I haven't reviewed any
patches because I knew that both you and Steven were too busy to commit
them and that by the time you'd have the time, I'd need to look at the
stuff again. This is discouraging. I am pretty sure others are thinking
the same.

> If people would spend more time reviewing patches in a critical
> fashion, rather than semi-blindly adding a '+1' without testing,
> that would come a long way.

This is a problem, too. Software development is a non-democratic
process, people.

> I tend to ignore +1's unless I sense that the commenter put time and
> effort in evaluating a patch.

See above for my reasons not to invest both. Contrary to what Bèr
believes, I have no time to waste either.

> Furthermore, as Robert points out, adding more committers is not
> going to make things easier -- it creates conflicts.

I am pretty sure that these can be minimized. We've had three core
committers in the past and it worked.

> I'm perfectly happy with the way things are and do not intend to add
> another core committer at this point.

I am not. Currently, if you are away, not much happens at the Drupal
project.

> (That is not to say that Moshe and Gerhard aren't doing a great job.
> They'd be in my top 5.)

*g* Some day I'd like to find out if your No. 1 is also my No. 1.

> Also, we're going to grow the server administration team so that
> should/could free up some of my time.

Let's hope this.

> Last but not least, I'll work my way through the patch queue once
> I'm back.

Maybe you could change your habits (or we redefine the statuses) wrt to
this. I think you should mark issues active if they do have a patch
attached but you are not likely to commit it for some technical or other
reason. The patch queue would be much shorter.

> With the server going down and the fundraise, the past
> weeks have been exceptionally busy -- especially behind the scenes.

That's true, too. Let's hope we do no t have any of this sort of
problems in the future.

Cheers,
	Gerhard