[drupal-devel] more core comitters

David Barnes eglish at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 14:48:02 UTC 2005

After reading the discussion thus far, it seems the bottleneck for
development is the testing/reviewing/benchmarking of patches, not the
amount of core contributers.  So how about we create handbook page(s)
describing standards or guidelines the core developers  want to see in
the commenting of the patches.  This would hopefully help eliminate
the '+1' comments and possibly prodive some useful documentation if a
committed patch winds up causing problems.  Also if we have certain
conventions, we could have patch testing phases.  For example, 'patch
phase 1' would be an initial commit of a patch.  'Patch phase 2' would
someone reviewing the patch to make sure its fits with drupal/PHP
conventions, doesn't break drupal, and is still relevant to the
version of Drupal the patch is for.  'Patch phase 3' would be comments
on the testing of the patch, like how well it tackles the actual
problem, how well it functions with/within the current system, and how
well it is written (i.e. not a hack job).  And 'patch phase 4' would
be some simple benchmarking.

If its clearly documented on how it should be done and presented, that
would allow more people to help with patches, and letting the core
contributters focus on the acutal numbers, instead having to make the
numbers themselves.