[drupal-devel] [task] merging feedback.module into contact.module

Tobias Maier drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sat Jul 30 14:26:03 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/27633
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/27633

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    contact.module
 Category:     tasks

contact.module updated again
-->now it runs :D

Tobias Maier

Previous comments:

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:00:09 +0000 : Tobias Maier

The contact.module of the Drupal HEAD does now nearly the same as the
feedback.module.
kbahey [1] and I talked about to bring them together.
To have just one module.

a) Here comes a list of features which you can find in feedback.module
and which are currently missing in contacts.module

* add the following fields to contacts.module:

* Postal Address
* Phone Number
* A real "Message Subject" (You say "What?? we have one!" - this one is
used in the false way. Be patient i'll tell you later what i mean)

* make it configurable if these fields are shown on the /Sites
Contact-Page/ and/or on the /Users Contact-Page/
* Make it configurable which field is required and which one not
* The Subject field is currently used to select on which
team/department the message belongs to.
	this field should be renamed to /topic/category/department/ (just one
of them / maybe let the user decide)
	and a Subject field with the default behavour should be introduced.
* let the "Additional information:"-field be formatted. So add
form_format()
* Feedback has a feature "Log all feedback attempts to watchdog"
* it also allows you to add an special "Subject Prefix:" to the e-mail
which will be sent.
* and to customize the Message which will be shown after the user
pressed submit. ("Result Message - Success". "Result Message -
Failure")
	(personally i think this is not really needed)
* it also allows you to define a "Navigation link text" and a "Feedback
Page Header" - but the most users (including me) were a little bit
confused about what that means
	(personally i think this is not really needed)

b) here comes my list what i want to see beside the things mentioned
above in contact.module:

* why does contact have two places to configure it (/admin/contact/ and
/admin/settings/contact/)
	i think they should be merged into one. So that it is easier for the
User to get into this.
* Help texts, everywhere :D
* a new permission:"Let me use all Users Contact page" - allow specific
Roles to contact the User through the Contact-Page, also if he
deactivated it

Please tell me what you think about it and if you have other ideas.
I want to start to merge the feedback module into the contact module
soon

Yours sincerely

Tobias Maier

[1] http://drupal.org/user/4063

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:40:21 +0000 : Tobias Maier

i forgot to mention that it also sends the referrer in the E-Mail
what I also want to include

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:30:36 +0000 : lennart

Hi Tobias,

I am currently using both feedback.module and contact.module, so for me
a merging would generally make sense.

I agree with most of your ideas /except/; I do not think " the Message
which will be shown after the user pressed submit. ("Result Message -
Success". "Result Message - Failure") " is not needed.

I think this should stay.

It gives comfort and certainty to the user to know that the mail has
been sent succesfully

Regards
Lennart

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:48:13 +0000 : Tobias Maier

i think also that this messages should stay there, but I think they
don't have to be customizable, like in Feedback.

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:03:54 +0000 : kbahey

Tobias,

Thanks for the comparison.

As the author of Feedback, I see a lot of overlap between contact and
feedback. I would like to see them merged, and become part of core.

contact is a good base to build on, and has some extra features (most
importantly the ability to contact a specific user, as well as list
different topic/category and route the message accordingly (think of
sales, support, marketing, ..etc or complaint, comment, request,
...etc.)

Add to all that one feature present to neither: a checkbox to send a
copy of the email to the originator for filing.

If both merge and add the above feature, I will be very happy, and
feedback can  then rest in peace starting from 4.7.

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 02:32:58 +0000 : Tobias Maier

here are the first patches regarding this:

* [bugfix] if contact.module is unconfigured the form gets shown [2]
* [bugfix/new feature] hide subject if there is just one [3]
* [new feature] input format for contact.module [4]
* [bugfix] Side-wide contact form: doesn't save entered text on input
error reload [5]

please test them all and integrate them all as fast as possible,
because i want to develop the next steps on top of them

Thanks
[2] http://drupal.org/node/27757
[3] http://drupal.org/node/27822
[4] http://drupal.org/node/27824
[5] http://drupal.org/node/27139

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:30:40 +0000 : Tobias Maier

and here comes the first all-in-one patch:
please try it, and tell me if it works for you:
This is just the first step to solve the list above so there come much
more enhancements later...

Changelog:

* Includes bugfix: if contact.module is unconfigured the form gets
shown [6]
* includes bugfix: if contact.module is unconfigured the form gets
shown [7]
* includes bugfix: Side-wide contact form: doesn't save entered text on
input error reload [8]
* renamed subject to category
* added a real Subject-field
* includes input format for contact.module [9]
* includes hide subject if there is just one [10]
* changes in contact-table (just MYSQL)

* subject renamed to category
* category is now PRIMARY KEY

[6] http://drupal.org/node/27757
[7] http://drupal.org/node/27757
[8] http://drupal.org/node/27139
[9] http://drupal.org/node/27824
[10] http://drupal.org/node/27822

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:31:33 +0000 : Tobias Maier

the patch for the mysql-table