Drupal foundation (was: [drupal-devel] adsense from google for drupal)

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Mar 1 10:33:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Vladimir Zlatanov wrote:

> > > So for a generic account we might we
> > > might have to setup a drupal foundation that wont have to pay taxes.
> > > This was discussed some time ago on this list but I dont remember
> > > the outcome of this. Anyone? (put response please in thread on site)
>
> > Unfortunately, this has not been discussed in Antwerp. Should we set up
> > an IRC meeting to discuss this further? I think the foundation should be
> > EU-based. I cannot recommend Germany as a good place for something like
> > this...
>
> +1 for EU based foundation - the laws in Europe are generally very
> friendly to non-for profit foundations (AFAIK)

In principle yes, however...
For example I do not know if there is such a thing as a cross-EU
foundation possible.

> I am not sure of the status and the legalities in UK but can do some
> research on that.

Belgium would be the natural place for such a foundation I guess.
But I agree that reasearch needs to be done before anything else.

> What I suggest is let's take the facts in and decide on that basis -
> what will be the maintenance, administration involved, taxes,
> benefits, ease of access, etc...
>
> If anyone has experience running such a thing it's fine, but
> it might take over somebody's life. Any volunteers ? :)

I had my reasons not to recommend .de. ;)
We should investigate how much time and effort is needed by other
similar foundations.

BTW: I do not see this EU-Drupal foundation idea as exclusive to teaming
up with the SPI initiative.

Cheers,
	Gerhard