[drupal-devel] Jimmy Wales

Jonathan Chaffer jchaffer at structureinteractive.com
Tue Mar 1 13:28:28 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales (Wikipedia) was across the aisle from me and directly ahead
of John and Matt on the way back from DrupalCon. We had a nice
conversation. Some of the highlights:

- He is interested in taxonomy, especially the possibility of
syndicated and synchronized vocabularies.
- He said it would be great if we had the ability to make a special
syntax like double-brackets link automatically to Wikipedia. I briefly
explained our filter system, and said that if he wanted we could knock
out such a filter in an afternoon. Looking in contrib, it looks like
interwiki.module can do this already; maybe it's just a matter of code
review.
- If we have need for writing-based tasks (like translation), he may be
able to provide some manpower for us in that area.
- "So, could I use this for my blog?" "Yes!"
- He talked a bit about Wikinews, and how it's silly to have a news
site without RSS, but the wiki format causes updates to be too frequent
to make RSS sensible. He wants to move finished articles out of the
wiki and into another system, and mentioned Drupal as a possibility for
this.

We may be getting a follow-up email at info at drupal.org.
--

Jonathan Chaffer
Applications Developer, structure:interactive