[drupal-devel] CCK Nomenclature

Chris Cook beerfan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 17:04:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:58:10 +0000, Gabor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu> wrote:
> Node != content. Or if we use the name 'content' for 'node', we could
> actually replace all apperances of 'node' with 'content'... I assumed we
> use the 'content' word on the interface to not scare people, but
> acknowledging that a 'content' is less then a 'node'. It all comes down
> to the definition of course, so both of these words can mean the same.
> But is a 'user profile' (which is going to be buildable with CCK) a
> 'content'??? Is a product a 'content'? I would not use this word for it.
> But then I am not a native English speaker, so I might have a different
> view on it...

In my defense, perhaps I don't fully understand the purpose of the new module.

Jonathan Chaffer wrote:
> Suppose node.module handles all of the content types defined by node
> modules as today, and a new module is added that handles the
> administrator-defined content types. What should that module be called?

I understood that this new module will manage administrator defined
"content" types and that it would not replace node.module. I agree
that a node may not necessarily be content but it does not sound like
this module will be used to define user accounts as those would
logically be be defined in the user module. If I am mistaken then some
clarification regarding this module's purpose may be in order.

As someone whose mother tongue is English I will say that I consider
any entered data (i.e. is not text that is part of the user interface)
to be technically content. That would include user profiles, blog
comments, photos, hyperlinks, categories, et cetera. Note that I said
"technically" though and that I don't think that end users should need
to understand what either content or a node is. I may also be alone in
my definition.