[drupal-devel] data caching

Carl McDade carl_mcdade at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 12:40:16 UTC 2005

That example uses Pear but what I was thinking is that rather than
interate through the module files and functions inaccordance with the db
controls. Instead create cached copies of the overriden modules if a
cached overriden copy is found then the original gets skipped over.

check for cached modules to invoke
invoke regular modules ( doubles can't happen because of checks already
in place)
if a regular module uses a overrideTocache(module/override.module) then
set it to cache.

When creating a module where this is needed then an override function in
 common.inc would be called to set the cached override in place.
Of course this is extra work for module developers in having to maintain
a second module but it is a lot better than nothing or having to hard
code changes that don't carry with version changes.

There is also the problem of the cached module not being set on first
iteration. But I think that is nominal.

Carl McDade