[drupal-devel] [feature] 2 additional hooks to form_textarea to support module writers who are extending it.

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Sun Mar 6 10:46:21 UTC 2005

gordon <drupal-devel at drupal.org> Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:17:35
>I do not think that these 2 additional hooks are needed. This will
>really add alot of additional overhead as it is going to call every
>textarea hook 4 times for every textarea on a page. Besides these
>modifiaction can be handled better and cleaner in the javascript. If
>you take a look at Xinha/HTMLArea or FckEditor they both manipulate the
>dom once the page has loaded, and not during. This is a much better and
>cleaner method as it means that you can attach to any textarea with
>only a few commands.
>This is what javascript excels at. So I don't think this is needed.

I'd agree with you, perhaps, about the attributes tag. I don't think I
agree about "post-title". I think it's highly likely that a module would
use "pre" or "post-title" but not both.

And since these are all in memory hooks I hardly see that calling 4
module hooks instead of 2 is going to make any performance difference at
all, at all.

Following your logic there's no need for "pre" either, because you can
implement that in javascript from "post".

Better and cleaner? I find php a hell of a lot easier to code and debug
in than Javascript. But then that's just me.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
S: callto://julian.bond/