[drupal-devel] CivicGroups preview

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Sun Mar 6 11:29:51 UTC 2005

Good work! Great step forwards.

But still, relying on external apps s#cks. I think for a huge amount of ppl
and orgs with small mailinglists, we should really have an allDrupal ML/List
system.

However, I see four scenarios:
* Large lists
* Small lists
* Large mailings
* Small mailings.

From my experience small organisations (is that not CS-es primary target?)
have lists with <20 mails/week: small lists.

Small lists should be handled completely by Drupal without any third party
apps like EZMLM.
Cron, subscriptions, mail->forum, and a forum->mail system would suffice.
Large lists need external systems to handle this. Thsy would need:
Cron, subscriptions, mailingsystem->forum, forum->mailingsystem.
Large mailings (newsletters, spam ;)) would need:
subscriptions, node->mailingsystem.
Small mailingsystems only need:
cron, subscriptions, node->mail.

So this all boils down to a single set of modules in Drupal:
subscriptions.module
mail2node.module (not mailhandler, that is too complex, IMO)
node2mail.module (similar to-, or inside subscriptions?)
mailqueue.module

ezmlm2node.module
node2ezmlm.module
postmaster2node.module
node2postmaster.module
etc.

With the first four modules you can handle small scaled mailing lists and
newsletters. With the lower ones you can use external apps to take care of
mailing.

Just my 2cts ;)

Bèr
--