[drupal-devel] A Folksonomy module

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Sun Mar 6 19:29:11 UTC 2005

Dries Buytaert <dries at buytaert.net> Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:06:01
>At the usability sprint we talked about introducing a form_ function
>which adds support for 'Google suggest'-style textfields.  We felt it
>was useful for the various username textfields.  Folksonomy might be
>another use case.

If you haven't seen it via the numerous blogdex links see
http://www.modernmethod.com/sajax/index.phtml
"Sajax is a tool to make programming websites using the Ajax framework —
  also known as XMLHTTPRequest or remote scripting — as easy as
possible. Sajax makes it easy to call PHP functions from your webpages
via JavaScript without performing a browser refresh. The toolkit does
99% of the work for you so you have no excuse to not use it."

>While I haven't given the implementation much thought, in my mind,
>folksonomies are a natural extension of the taxonomy module.  It is a
>special kind of vocabulary that shares the underlying data structures
>(terms) with the conventional taxonomy system.

Maybe we should think about the absolute minimum change to Taxonomy to
allow this and to allow an add on module to be written. It might even be
as simple as one additional status value for vocabulary:hierarchy. And
all the associated code changes to hide that value.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
S: callto://julian.bond/