[drupal-devel] A Folksonomy module

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Mar 8 21:22:32 UTC 2005

Last year there was a post here suggesting a "system" type of taxonomy
vocabulary that would use the taxonomy tables but provide no user
interface.

I've been looking at a similar idea to re-use the taxonomy module for a
folksonomy. It looks to me like almost every function in taxonomy would
have to be modified or replaced. And I don't think taxonomy would cope
well with the target of 1000 tags in a folksonomy vocabulary.

So where I'm going now is to extend Moshe's folksonomy.module and
progressively add cut, paste and modify versions of the taxo
administrative function, to provide utility functions, but not to
include any user interface. This to stay in what I think is Moshe's
original intent which is to support other modules that provide
innovative UI to the data.

Right now I've got 3 tables.
- folksonomy       // tag node links
- folksonomy_realm // corresponds to vocabulary
- folksonomy_realm_node_types // corresponds to vocabulary_node_types

In parallel, I'm working on a folktags.module that uses folksonomy and
provides the UI.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
S: callto://julian.bond/