[drupal-devel] A Folksonomy module

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Tue Mar 8 22:06:40 UTC 2005

> I reently decided to reimplement folksonomy using system vocabularies.
> As mentioned, these are successfully being used for image galleries in
> the upcoming image.module and already being used for forum.module in
> 4.6. My thought was to create a vocabulary for each user. The vocab
> would be created the first time the user tagged an item. That way, we
> don't unnecessarily create vocabs for every single user ... One
> disadvantage about this approach is that you will only be able to tag
> nodes. So the noption of tagging users would be gone (without reworking
> taxonomy). One nice application of tagging users is in buddylists where
> a given user can be a member of 'work', 'friends', etc. Think IM buddy
> list groups ... But overall, thats my thinking.

Hrm. Isn't a duplication of data (all users having "cat", "cats", "funny",
etc.) "bad"? The above seems focussed on solving the problem of "My Tags",
but also seems to make relevant and synonomous tags more difficult, and
makes it nearly impossible for me to do the "similar keywords" I need for
the NHPR conversion.

Was your design decision "no new tables, come hell or highwater?"

Could we use hidden profile.module fields to associate uids with tids?

--
Morbus Iff ( you are nothing without your robot car, NOTHING! )
Spidering Hacks: http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005776/disobeycom