[drupal-devel] A Folksonomy module

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Wed Mar 9 09:52:38 UTC 2005

Dries Buytaert <dries at buytaert.net> Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:49:33
>I'm open for patches that extend or rework core's taxonomy module.  As
>explained in my previous e-mail, there is room for folksonomies (tags)
>in the taxonomy module.  It might take more thought and work to extend
>or refactor parts of the taxonomy module but it is going to pay off.

I've just reworked my code to get rid of a folksonomy_realm table and
use vocabulary instead. It all works with one small addition to
taxonomy.module. taxonomy_form(), taxonomy_form_all(),
taxonomy_node_form() really need a check so that they only return
something for $vocabulary->module=='taxonomy' in the same way as in
taxonomy_overview() The new forum module avoids this by only associating
forum vocabularies with node->type=='forum'. But a folksonomy vocabulary
would provide it's own form field and would be used on node types that
also have categories.

Perhaps this is overloading the module field. I can imagine a module
that needed it's own admin but used taxonomy's form fields.

>(Julian, if you decide to go with your own version of the folksonomy
>module, know that it might be difficult to upgrade later on.)

Noted ;-)

>> I've been looking at a similar idea to re-use the taxonomy module for
>>a folksonomy. It looks to me like almost every function in taxonomy
>> would have to be modified or replaced. And I don't think taxonomy
>> would cope well with the target of 1000 tags in a folksonomy
>> vocabulary.
>
>Why is that?  Can you provide us some examples?  It would certainly
>help us grasp the challenges.

This 1000 tag thing. I've found vocabularies with a tree of 100 tags a
bit awkward to use. The Admin vocab overview gets very long and the few
places where you have all tags for a vocab in a combo box will also get
awkward to use.

I'm progressively using more and more of taxonomy as is. At the moment,
I'm replacing
_help
_save
_delete
_menu
_admin
_overview
_form_vocabulary

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
S: callto://julian.bond/