[drupal-devel] caching issues

Andre Molnar mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 18:53:52 UTC 2005

Jeremy Andrews wrote:
> Yes and no.  Yes, this most recent flood I suffered would have been
> prevented by disabling anonymous commenting.

Just a general comment on this for everyone's interest.

Spam-bots are easier to stop by requireing registration.

 > spammers have registered
> user accounts on my site before and used them to post spam

But as Jeremy has experienced - Spamming is an outsourced industry with
people being paid to do it.  If site registration is quick and easy (as
it is with Drupal - because it is such great a CMS) - then you are still
faced with the spam issue.

Even with sighted-human-input-validation - or what others annoyingly
refer to as captchas - paid humans are good at getting past them.

And lets not forget the point of this thread - improved caching - which
has the pleasant side effect of keeping your site running smoothly under
a hailstorm of spam-bot posts.

I would love to see an optional file-cache system for blogging or
brochureware sites that use Drupal. And in a perfect world improved
traditional drupal caching for community features (like forums) and
file-based caching for mainly static modules like books or plain pages
(those with low volume comments).

Or in other words a configuration option to choose the caching mechanism
based on the node type.  (I can hear Bèr grumbling already ;-).

andre