[drupal-devel] A Folksonomy module

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Thu Mar 10 08:54:32 UTC 2005

Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com> Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:52:12
>I think folksonomy tags are too different from taxonomy terms so I
>think there's benefit from sharing vocabulary tables and codes but not
>term tables and code. I've only needed three patches to taxonomy.module
>to make this work. Each one is just to prevent taxonomy from generating
>form fields for vocabularies that have module<>'taxonomy'.

I lost my way a little on this last night as I tried to build and use a
tags table that had a single entry for each tag used. Maintaining data
integrity is proving a little hard. It revolves around whether a tag
should stay in the database when it's no longer used by any nodes.

Anyway. Patching Taxonomy. What are the implications of stopping any
output from taxonomy_form(), taxonomy_form_all() and
taxonomy_node_form() when the vocabulary->module <> 'taxonomy'.
Basically saying that if the module isn't 'taxonomy' don't bother
providing end user UI in the same way that it currently doesn't bother
providing admin UI. Will this break existing contrib modules?

Now if a module provides it's own admin and user UI, what is there to be
gained from it keeping it's vocabulary data in the vocabulary table
apart from a little code reuse from taxonomy.module? The one thing I can
think of is that as taxonomy.module develops, there may come a time when
it would make sense to use the admin and user UI again and at least the
data is in the right place making upgrades easier.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
S: callto://julian.bond/