[drupal-devel] A Folksonomy module

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Wed Mar 9 10:52:46 UTC 2005

Boris Mann <borismann at gmail.com> Wed, 9 Mar 2005 02:08:20
>This sounds like something that UI can overcome. I agree with the
>Admin vocab overview length issue, but if you use system vocabs, the
>folksonomy could have it's own admin display for this.

Yes. That's where I've ended up.

>Tag-per-line or comma-separated tags would be the preferred input,
>would they not? so I don't see the terms every necessarily being
>displayed in a combo box.

Yes.

>I think that aiming to be able to implement folksonomies with our
>existing taxonomy system is a good thing to strive for, even if it
>means code changes to taxo.module to encompass this use.

I think folksonomy tags are too different from taxonomy terms so I think
there's benefit from sharing vocabulary tables and codes but not term
tables and code. I've only needed three patches to taxonomy.module to
make this work. Each one is just to prevent taxonomy from generating
form fields for vocabularies that have module<>'taxonomy'.

>Hmm. And if profiles were nodes, you could "tag" users by tagging
>their associated profile(s).

That's another story! On Ecademy we have a "50 words" field on profiles
that is really a folksonomy field. All my messing in this area started
with implementing a folksonomy interface to navigate user space. It's
open to the world so you can see it here.
http://www.ecademy.com/module.php?mod=member&op=popular
As somebody else mentioned we'd need a user_tag field to go with
node_tag to do this in Drupal. Or make profiles, nodes.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
S: callto://julian.bond/