[drupal-devel] Folksonomy: No taxonomy.module Changes / URL Design

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Thu Mar 10 20:36:07 UTC 2005

> This morning, I took a look at all the places in taxonomy.module that
> used term_node, so as to properly handle the new database addition
> above. At first glance, I don't see /any/ place that requires changing:

In chatting with killes on IRC, there is one place. Everytime a node
with taxo is saved, all term_node data for that nid is deleted:

   db_query('DELETE FROM {term_node} WHERE nid = %d', $nid);

This would also obliterate all of the folksonomy data (which wouldn't be
in a taxonomy input field, and thus nothing ever passed in as $terms to
taxonomy_node_save()). It would be entirely possible to do a dirty ugly
evil hack and name the module zzz_folksonomy_shared, but god, strike me
down for even suggesting the idea.

The quick and immediate fix is:

   db_query('DELETE FROM {term_node} WHERE nid = %d AND uid = 0', $nid);

Since a normal taxonomy would receive all relations as uid 0, and a
folksonomy would save proper folksonomy tags with the proper uid, the
above would work.

But, I'm now fighting back and forth mentally about how I should move
forward with this. One of my design decisions was "as tightly bound to
taxonomy as possible." The above would be a required patch to core.
Besides the previous SQL change, the minisculeness of the above change
visually lessens its importance. It's easy to forget the reasonings WHY it
is necessary, especially since it'd be the only uid mention in the entire
taxonomy module.

On the other hand, I could lose my tightnening, and reproduce term_node as
folksonomy_term_node. Unfortunately, that'd mean I'd have to reproduce a
lot of taxonomy retrieval code in the folksonomy_shared module.

I'm not sure which direction to go here.

--
Morbus Iff ( you are nothing without your robot car, NOTHING! )
Spidering Hacks: http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005776/disobeycom