[drupal-devel] Folksonomy: No taxonomy.module Changes / URL Design

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Fri Mar 11 00:56:54 UTC 2005

Morbus Iff wrote:

>   db_query('DELETE FROM {term_node} WHERE nid = %d AND uid = 0', $nid);
>
> Since a normal taxonomy would receive all relations as uid 0, and a
> folksonomy would save proper folksonomy tags with the proper uid, the
> above would work.
>
> But, I'm now fighting back and forth mentally about how I should move
> forward with this. One of my design decisions was "as tightly bound to
> taxonomy as possible." The above would be a required patch to core.
> Besides the previous SQL change, the minisculeness of the above change
> visually lessens its importance. It's easy to forget the reasonings WHY
> it is necessary, especially since it'd be the only uid mention in the
> entire taxonomy module.

I lean towards staying tightly bound with taxonomy and making the change to
core.  A comment saying why this is the only uid mention should be sufficient
for anyone modifying core in the future.

I see a lot of advantages to staying tightly bound with taxonomy.  The only
disadvantage I worry about is ultimate taxo/folkso performance when both are
in heavy use on a site.  And that's just a knee-jerk reaction; have not looked
at the code and SQL.

--
Chris Johnson