[drupal-devel] [feature] More improvements to forum help language

Morbus Iff drupal-devel at drupal.org
Fri Mar 11 14:08:03 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    forum.module
 Category:     feature requests

I'm on the fence so I have to -1. I'd +1 it with some of the revisions
below:
* Never use location in documentation or help instructions. The stuff
may be "below" or "above" your help text now, but that doesn't mean it
is always going to be like that (ie. prevent the possibility of future
"incorrect" documentation).
* You use [p /]. That's bad HTML. A [p] is a container tag, and thus,
should really contain something. I'd revise the text to be just one
paragraph, as I'm not really a fan of [br /][br /] either.
* "To delete a forum or container choose the appropriate "edit"
operation." requires a comma.
* You didn't do a spellcheck. What's "apporpriate"?
* For add/container, it's either "fora" or "forums". "Forum" is not an
adequate plural in this context.
* I'd include the word "root" in quotes to distinguish that it's a
"term" the user may not be familiar with.
* I don't like the use of the word "many". It's extraneous, not
finitely defined, and ultimately garbage.
* I don't like the use of "something in common". I may just want a
place for people to create crap without interfering with the front page
of my site. "Miscellany" or "potpourri" is not "something in common".
The use of "similar" in the original text is stronger, and your "For
example" removes the need for "something in common".
* What's a "forum area"?

Morbus Iff

Previous comments:

March 11, 2005 - 08:33 : nysus

Here's some more langauge improvements to the forum help text in the
forum_help() function for the following Drupal pages:
'admin/forum': Got rid of technical jargon and improved readability and
flow of sentences.
'admin/forum/add/container': added a concrete example for additional
clarification
'admin/forum/add/forum': Got rid of technical jargo, improved
readability and flow of sentences, added a  concrete example for
additional clarification.