[drupal-devel] Schema Changes for a Shared Taxonomy OTF/Folksonomy

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Sun Mar 13 16:17:54 UTC 2005

> - What should happen to terms that are no longer used anywhere? Should
>   there be automatic garbage collection or perhaps Admin pruning?

The same question could be asked of a normal taxonomy, in which case the
answer would be "absolutely nothing." Deleting a term would also delete
it's URL, and I'd much rather serve a "there is currently no content
tagged with this term" than a 404.

You establish:

> - There's a fundamental difference doing folksonomy within Drupal from
> del.icio.us. Probably, only the author (and admins) can apply terms to a

And then suggest:

> There's a potential issue here with "tag spam". A malicious user might
> tag a node with all the most popular terms. That node will then appear

While I certainly don't want to suggest this discussion is irrelevant, I
think it's fair to say that every node of a Drupal site has a much
better chance of being viewed by some sort of admin than an open-ended
system like delicious. I think the biggest problem with "tag spam" and a
Drupal site would be if we allowed commenters to insert tags - ignoring
that, it's a safe bet that tag spam in a community-oriented site like
Drupal (as opposed to, IMO, a service-oriented site like delicious)
would be more easily seen and addressed.

--
Morbus Iff ( cheese and rice saves )