[drupal-devel] Schema Changes for a Shared Taxonomy OTF/Folksonomy

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Sun Mar 13 09:24:56 UTC 2005

Ross Kendall <drupal at rosskendall.com> Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:54:29
>The whole thing with a Folksonomy is that it's not 'controlled', good
>terms float to the top because of popularity.  I don't think it's a
>great idea to mix 'controlled' vocabularies with 'uncontrolled' ones,
>as they are completely different approaches to organising content.  If
>it's possible to get them working along side each other then great.

Two questions that arise.
- What should happen to terms that are no longer used anywhere? Should
there be automatic garbage collection or perhaps Admin pruning?

- There's a fundamental difference doing folksonomy within Drupal from
del.icio.us. Probably, only the author (and admins) can apply terms to a
node whereas lots of people can apply terms to a bookmark. So bad terms
don't get submerged in quite the same way as in del.icio.us.

There's a potential issue here with "tag spam". A malicious user might
tag a node with all the most popular terms. That node will then appear
(perhaps briefly) at the top in the pages for all those terms. There's
quite a few scenarios where this will encourage the stupid to repost
with thousands of tags repeatedly to keep their node at the top of every
list. My solution to this is an admin variable "Max terms per post per
vocab" of say, 10. Combined with spam controls to prevent creating
identical or nearly identical nodes from one or more users.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
S: callto://julian.bond/