[drupal-devel] [feature] introducing theme_term_link()

killes drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sun Mar 13 20:49:33 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.5.0
 Component:    taxonomy.module
 Category:     feature requests

What did the usability meeting say about this?

killes at www.drop.org

Previous comments:

October 26, 2004 - 21:40 : Bèr Kessels

There currently is *no* way to theme a term link. Thats not good [tm].
Because I think this is not just a simple featurem, but required for
good themeing (note that even "silly-er" functions have extremely
complex theme functions) I categorise it as a Bug and not a task or a
feature!
This patch allows themes to override the term-links by themeing a very
simple function.

October 26, 2004 - 23:02 : moshe weitzman

why would someone want to theme a term link? how is this different from
links to users or links to nodes.

October 26, 2004 - 23:25 : Bèr Kessels

I want it for one:

<?php
function remixreading_term_link($term) {
  return taxonomy_image_display($term->tid)." ".l($term->name,
'taxonomy/term/'. $term->tid);
}
?>

and other might want fancy opportunities here:

<?php
function mytheme_term_link($term) {
  if(in_array($term->vid, $array_of_fancy_vocs)) {
    return '<div id=voc-'.$term->vid.'">'.l($term->name,
'taxonomy/term/'. $term->tid).'</div>;
  }
  else {
     return l($term->name, 'taxonomy/term/'. $term->tid);
  }
}
?>

so Yes!, i believe its areal useable issue here!

October 27, 2004 - 01:12 : drumm

Setting status to patch.
+1 for what is here and another request:
The image and forum modules should be able to make the links go to the
image and forum modules. Although this could easily fit into
http://drupal.org/node/10425.

October 27, 2004 - 06:50 : Eric Scouten

"The image and forum modules should be able to make the links go to the
image and forum modules.
"
I strongly agree here.
Related suggestion: I'd like it if taxonomy_menu could "hijack" the
term listings so that clicking on a term caused the menus to update
properly. (IOW, the term link should be to taxonomy_menu/(vid)/(tid),
not to taxonomy/(tid). This may or may not fit with the patch provided
here. (I didn't read the patch.)

October 27, 2004 - 13:28 : moshe weitzman

i guess folks want image and forum links to be rewritten because thos
modules output their nodes using a display that differs from node/x.
that is image/x looks different from node/x.
the right way to fix that is to do what we did for book.module. unify
the look of image/x and node/x such that we no longer have an imagex.
see how book.module accomplishes this.
i am still -1 for this patch since i see many other types of links that
could be themed in this way (users, forum nodes, recipe nodes, polls,
etc.). on the other hand, it is a pretty small change.

October 27, 2004 - 13:30 : moshe weitzman

i guess folks want image and forum links to be rewritten because thos
modules output their nodes using a display that differs from node/x.
that is image/x looks different from node/x.
the right way to fix that is to do what we did for book.module. unify
the look of image/x and node/x such that we no longer have an imagex.
see how book.module accomplishes this.
i am still -1 for this patch since i see many other types of links that
could be themed in this way (users, forum nodes, recipe nodes, polls,
etc.). on the other hand, it is a pretty small change.

October 27, 2004 - 18:39 : Eric Scouten

No, false assumption. There is no image/x URL for displaying a single
image. The issue is not how to display a *single* node (we all agree
that node/x is correct), but how to display a *list* of nodes. For
certain kinds of nodes, there are far better ways to do it than offered
by taxonomy_render_nodes, so it makes sense to allow an override of that
list display. (Note: This is straying from the original discussion. If I
didn't have to leave ASAP, I'd start a new thread.)

November 15, 2004 - 11:47 : Bèr Kessels

bringing this back to the original discussion: pass the taxonomy links
trough a theme function, so that people can, for example, add icons to
the links. The patch sill applies (hint,hint!)

November 15, 2004 - 16:24 : moshe weitzman

Perhaps we do this themeing not for every taxo link but rather for lists
of links. In other words, do like theme_node_list() and
theme_user_list(). more consistent with existing practice.