[drupal-devel] [feature] Show link indicating that a node has attachments on the homepage

killes drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sun Mar 13 20:51:27 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    upload.module
 Category:     feature requests

Sounds usefull. And still applies.

killes at www.drop.org

Previous comments:

October 27, 2004 - 22:17 : simon_g

I've made a small change to the upload module to make it possible to
show a link under the teaser text on the homepage similar to the one
shown by the comments module to indicate that a node has attachments.
I find this feature particularly useful if you create an article that
is so small that all text does fit in the teaser on the homepage. In
that case there will be no 'read more' link under the article, if
you've added an attachment a user scanning the homepage will not notice
it's existence.
This feature is configurable by the admin - default value is off, but
maybe it should be on.
I hope someone who has CVS access will commit this patch - or notify me
if it should be changed in some way to get it accepted.
(Sidenote: This is my first Drupal modification and I don't do a lot of
php programming. This is just a simple bit of cut-and-paste programming
so please tell me if it can be improved)

October 27, 2004 - 22:42 : Bèr Kessels

two minor things:
adding more configuration options is considered bad: unless absolutely
nessesary
you use a tab instead of two spaces before $links[] = drupal coding
style only allows spaces.
furthermore +1 for this functionality

October 27, 2004 - 23:00 : simon_g

thanks for the quick response!
Do you (or anyone else) need a new diff with spaces instead of tabs?
I just noticed the diff should have been against the CVS HEAD - I
checked it and the line numbers are identical, so it won't be really
needed for that.
About the number of configuration options: The upload module currently
has only one 'global' configuration option (the max size) so I think a
second setting will not hurt a lot. I agree that too many options is
bad, maybe it's just that I was hesitant about anyone else wanting this
functionality.
I'll create a patch without the configure options if needed, but how do
I know what's the most favored version? (Or is one +1 enough for all?)
[I've read a bit in the "Contributers guide" but I'm not really sure
about the process.

October 27, 2004 - 23:17 : Bèr Kessels

I am not in charge, at all, of any patches that might go to core.
I merely gave my ideas, so that if a core cvs maintainer passes by he
will notice that the patch was reviewed already, and then might easier
decide to commit it.
Bèr

October 29, 2004 - 00:47 : Steven

Wouldn't it be better to have a little attachment/paperclip icon
instead? The link is more so informative rather than for clicking.

October 30, 2004 - 00:49 : simon_g

I like the idea - but at what location should that icon be shown? At the
same place the text will display now?
And I think the link certainly is for clicking if the text is short and
therefore there is no "read more" link. I know you can click the title
(at least in the bluemarine theme you can) but that doesn't really feel
intuitive to me. (Probably having something to do with moving your mouse
up from where you were reading instead of down in the 'normal' reading
direction)
And I don't see a lot of images being used in the rest of Drupal - how
would something like that interact with the templating part? Are there
examples of modules using images in the user-interface part?
  Simon

October 31, 2004 - 07:08 : Boris Mann

This should be added as a regular link, ideally something like "download
attachment (filename.xxx)". BUT, I agree that at the theme level you
would want to easily style ANY of those links as an icon.
But...we currently can't order or edit or replace-with-icons any of
those node links. So add the link as plain text, then lets get to work
on some theming improvements.

November 1, 2004 - 16:30 : simon_g

I wouldn't want to have links to all the attachments on the homepage, if
you have more than one attachment that would clutter the homepage too
much I'd think -- My patch is only meant to make the user aware of the
existence of the attachtment(s) so they will know there is more to see
if they click the article.
There is already a nice table of attachments in the page of the article
itself, if you really want all the info on the frontpage you could just
as well include that table in the teaser text.

December 3, 2004 - 04:25 : mathias

+1
This feature makes it possible to know what nodes have attachments when
multiple nodes are shown on a page in 'teaser mode'. This is a great
usability feature especially when one is making reference to an
attached file in node->teaser that currently is only visible at the
node/nid/view level.
This new patch applies to CVS HEAD and removes the setting of making
this feature optional.  I don't think that's necessary given that it's
a usability issue and not a feature that changes the way the module
behaves and treats files.

December 3, 2004 - 04:55 : mathias

Slight revision to my last patch. Only show the attachments link when an
attached file has the 'list' option checked. It doesn't make sense to
say that attachments exist if none are listed.