[drupal-devel] Folksonomy: No taxonomy.module Changes / URL Design

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Mar 15 14:11:46 UTC 2005

http://drupal.org/node/18826
http://www.voidstar.com/node.php?id=2262

Here's the short version of the readme

Overview
This set consists of three items
- taxonomy.module.patch
A patch to taxonomy to stop it generating form elements for vocabularies
that are from modules taxonomy or forum.

- folksonomy.module
A module to provide folksonomy support to contrib modules. Requires
taxonomy

- folkterms.module
A module that demonstrates adding folksonomies to nodes using
folksonomy.module.

Approach
- Uses taxonomy vocabulary and term tables to store all data.
- Creates term entries on the fly

Game Plan
I think this is the right long term approach. So the sequence is
1) Build proof of concept folksonomy.modules
2) Hack patches into taxonomy as we need them
3) Merge the finished folksonomy.module back into taxonomy

-------------------------------------
I've stopped working on this because I keep needing changes to taxonomy
to go further. So I'm back to the other game plan.

1) Build proof of concept folksonomy.modules
2) Ignore Taxo for the moment and use separate folksonomy_term tables
3) Once the Proof of concept is far enough along go back to Taxonomy and
work out what needs to change
4) Merge the finished folksonomy.module back into taxonomy

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
S: callto://julian.bond/