[drupal-devel] [bug] Preview themed as a node list (no way to detect preview)

elonen drupal-devel at drupal.org
Tue Mar 15 18:25:33 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    node.module
 Category:     bug reports

Hmm..  How about changing the $page boolean to a more generic $context[]
instead of adding a new flag?
It'd be nice if the themes could also explicitly detect, for example,
taxonomy node listing context or a node embedding context. Individual
modules could then decide if they wanted to expose themselves to the
themes or not and could even do...

<?php
$context['foo_module'] = 1 + @$context['foo_module'];
$foo = theme('node', $node, $teaser, $context);
?>

...if they wanted to let the themes detect multiple nested calls.

elonen

Previous comments:

March 12, 2005 - 19:21 : elonen

Function theme('node', $node, $teaser, $page) can't detect a preview and
therefore often renders it incorrectly. The problem is that !$page is
usually interpreted as "the node is part of a listing" in the themes
and therefore the previewed page may look, depending on the theme, very
different on the actual page.
Perhaps theme() should get somewhat more detailed context info than
just $page?

March 13, 2005 - 17:02 : Geary

Here is a patch to node.module that adds a $node->preview flag which
themes can use to display previews appropriately. This seems like the
simplest possible core change to support styled previews.
For more information, screen shots, and a working demo using an updated
FriendsLight theme, see:
http://mg.to/2005/03/13/drupal-preview-confusion
and
http://drupal.mg.to/2005/03/13/friendslight-theme-with-styled-preview
I am submitting a similar patch to comment.module.

March 13, 2005 - 17:03 : Geary

Here is a patch to comment.module that adds a $comment->preview flag
which themes can use to display previews appropriately. This seems like
the simplest possible core change to support styled previews.
For more information, screen shots, and a working demo using an updated
FriendsLight theme, see:
http://mg.to/2005/03/13/drupal-preview-confusion
and
http://drupal.mg.to/2005/03/13/friendslight-theme-with-styled-preview
I am submitting a similar patch to node.module.

March 13, 2005 - 17:07 : Geary

Oops, one of my patches above says "4.5.2". Both of these patches are
actually against the CVS code. Sorry about the mixup. (Other than line
numbers, the same patch works for 4.5.2 or CVS.)

March 13, 2005 - 17:16 : Geary

It seems that when I enter a title in one of these comments, it changes
the title on the main entry I'm replying to. Since my previous comment
left a title that made no sense out of context, I'm adding this comment
in the hope of changing the main title so it makes sense again. Sorry
about that.

March 13, 2005 - 23:31 : moshe weitzman

seems like we'd want a similar flag for a node preview. yours is a
comment preview. would be a nice enhancement to this patch.

March 14, 2005 - 01:34 : Geary

Hi Moshe,
Yes, I did both the node and comment. Just got a little mixed up about
how to post the patches. They should both be in this thread, or the
4.5.2 versions are on the page I linked to above.