[drupal-devel] CivicSpace development moving to Drupal

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Mar 16 05:20:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 neil at civicspacelabs.org wrote:

[good news]

> There are a few things I could use some advice about:
>
> - Bug fix fridays in the Drupal community. The simple explanation is
>   that Zack and I come up with a list of bugs to fix every Thursday,
>   tell the CivicSpace developers mailing list about them, and bug
>   assignments are made at a set time in an IRC room Which IRC room
>   should be used, #drupal-bugfixday? Anyone else want to do this as
>   well?

I have told Dries somewhere between FOSDEM and Antwerp that I'd like to
see that he'd assign bugs to people. An advantage might be that those
bugs would a) get a patch sooner and b) that patch would be committted
sooner to cvs because Dries c) cares about that bug and d) would maybe
give some hints about the sort of solution he'd like to see.

> - To properly release the configure [1] module it will need about 2/3 of
>   the code pushed into individual modules using a new hook. We should
>   have a debate about this going into Drupal core at some point. It
>   could easily live as a contrib module, but I think we need to take a
>   step back and think about how module installation works.

Can this get combined with Adrian's installer?

>   [forked modules]

There are IMHO several things you can do:
- try to get the maintainer of a corresponding Drupal module to accept
  your patches
- continue to maintain those (few) modules on csl.
- try to get some stuff in core. forms.module sounds as if there might
  be a connection to CCK.

> - Install.php [6] is a heavily branded and Postgres incompatible moving
>   target. Who is interested in helping get this into Drupal? I know
>   people who want to make Drupal easier to install are out there.

Typically those people wouldn't be able to help you much. ;^)

As sceptical as I am about installers I sure do not want there to be two
of them. Adrian has been working on one for bryght and said he'd
contribute that back to Drupal.

> - We want to know when 4.6.0 final will be released. Yeah, I know, it is
>   ready when it is ready and review issues and test it to make it go
>   faster.

Well, the 15th has passed. Dries got his new laptop so the cvs commit
rate should increase again. I am not sure a 1st of April release is a
good idea, though.

Maybe we should draft a list of issues that need fixing before the
release.

Cheers,
	Gerhard