[drupal-devel] CivicSpace development moving to Drupal

neil at civicspacelabs.org neil at civicspacelabs.org
Wed Mar 16 22:25:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:54:35AM -0800, Boris Mann wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:49:01 -0800, neil at civicspacelabs.org
> <neil at civicspacelabs.org> wrote:
>
> > - To properly release the configure [1] module it will need about 2/3 of
> >    the code pushed into individual modules using a new hook. We should
> >    have a debate about this going into Drupal core at some point. It
> >    could easily live as a contrib module, but I think we need to take a
> >    step back and think about how module installation works.
>
> > - Install.php [6] is a heavily branded and Postgres incompatible moving
> >    target. Who is interested in helping get this into Drupal? I know
> >    people who want to make Drupal easier to install are out there.
>
> We've already said to CS that we want to work with them to integrate
> configure, install.php, and Adrian's work on installation. Tell us
> when you (Neil/CS) have time, so we can make the time for Adrian to
> work on it. And of course, anyone else in the community that wants to
> work on it.

Yes, you have said that a few times. The main problem has been lack of
time. Hopefully this problem will go away if we start thinking of
ourselves as Drupal developers instead of CivicSpace developers (like I
think Bryght does).

I would like to hear about where Adrian/Bryght is on this (once people
finish moving and get settled in a new place). Some questions that come
to mind are:

- Where are the installation and configuration systems which Adrian has
  developed code-wise? What version of Drupal do they work with?
- Bryght doesn't need a full installer, but could use a configuration
  wizard. Which peices can be worked on and which peices have priority?
- When do /you/ have time?

A [somewhat edited as copied down] note from Chris: think of Drupal
installation, configuration, day-to-day maintenence, module
installation, upgrading, and module upgrading as one system consistent
throughout. Right now we are thinking of installing as something
completely separated from upgrading, etc.

> Ditto for Survey/Forms, since James has done the work on that. Long
> term, we'd love to see survey.module (and potentially a
> registration.module as well, and quiz.module too?) become really
> powerful components. A good forms library is a necessity for this. Do
> these forms intersect in any way with either the profile fields and/or
> CCK?

Profile and/or CCK? yes and yes.

-Neil