[drupal-devel] New 4.6 Image module

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Sat Mar 19 08:45:02 UTC 2005

Hello,

Over the last couple of days I have been experimenting with James' new
image module, and I think it is very good. I have also been doing some
testing with htmlarea and it is all working.

I have put up one patch, which instead of using the file_transfer() I
have changed it so that it will do a header('Location: ...') to the
image so that when you are using public files the image module will not
take up as much resource.

I have also created 2 new image toolkit includes for imlib, and the php
imagick library so that you are not executing a shell command to do
manipulations.

I know that there was some discussion about moving this new version of
the image module from James' sandbox into contributions. Now with 4.6
get closer, I think that we need to do this sooner rather than later so
that more general testing can be completed by the time 4.6 is released.

I think that what we should do is rename the current image project and
cvs to image old. This is because the new image module is a completely
new development, and thus should start the bug reports and everything
fresh. This will make it much easier to maintain problems between the
old and the new.

This is a great new improvement for drupal, but we need to get this
development moving forward for drupal 4.6

James. Great work.
--
Gordon Heydon <gordon at heydon.com.au>