[drupal-devel] Dynamic Text Replacement

Solon solon at chiefcodemonkey.com
Wed Mar 23 09:48:15 UTC 2005

> Both are valid methods, if you want configurability, then module is
> probably
> the better way, as the template path will most probably require engine
> modification (adding extra config options, might be wrong, not an
> expert), and different template engines handle things differently.
>
> A hook for extending the template form? Have no clue, but sound like
> a good idea to me.
> Any opinion, or a ready resolution?

I am a graphic designer, so module creation would not be a strong point
of mine, but I am willing to give it a go. I plan on having the module
ask the user what tags they would like removed, assigning a font/ style
to those tags and modifying/ creating a php file to handle the image
creation. The javascript would then be outputted to the page <head> tag
through the same method that other JavaScript and meta information is
sent already. In phpTemplate the tag is <?php print $head ?>, so
whatever method sends this data, I will look into.

I will be leaning towards php and gd2, as it is supported by Drupal,
and as I said, I do not want to add another requirement to Drupal
installations.