[drupal-devel] New 4.6 Image module

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Wed Mar 23 18:30:01 UTC 2005

On 19-Mar-05, at 3:44 AM, Gordon Heydon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Over the last couple of days I have been experimenting with James' new
> image module, and I think it is very good. I have also been doing some
> testing with htmlarea and it is all working.

glad to hear it!

> I have put up one patch, which instead of using the file_transfer() I
> have changed it so that it will do a header('Location: ...') to the
> image so that when you are using public files the image module will not
> take up as much resource.

This is a good idea ... but I also agree that it should likely live in
file_transfer itself.

> I have also created 2 new image toolkit includes for imlib, and the php
> imagick library so that you are not executing a shell command to do
> manipulations.
>
> I know that there was some discussion about moving this new version of
> the image module from James' sandbox into contributions. Now with 4.6
> get closer, I think that we need to do this sooner rather than later so
> that more general testing can be completed by the time 4.6 is released.

It's gonna happen real soon now ;)

> I think that what we should do is rename the current image project and
> cvs to image old. This is because the new image module is a completely
> new development, and thus should start the bug reports and everything
> fresh. This will make it much easier to maintain problems between the
> old and the new.

As dries mentioned, I've built an upgrade path so that the delineation
will be 4.6 - later and there is no need to duplicate projects (so
there is less confusion).

> This is a great new improvement for drupal, but we need to get this
> development moving forward for drupal 4.6

Indeed. Thanks for your work Gordon,

--
James Walker  ::  http://www.walkah.net/