[drupal-devel] New 4.6 Image module

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Sat Mar 19 12:14:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 06:32 -0500, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> > I have put up one patch, which instead of using the file_transfer() I
> > have changed it so that it will do a header('Location: ...') to the
> > image so that when you are using public files the image module will not
> > take up as much resource.
> >
> perhaps file_transfer() itself could do the redirect for public files?
> also, does anyone else think that adding a redirect for every image
> node might cause poor experience for users on a high latency
> connection? imagine an image galle	ry page with lots of image nodes. I
> wonder if we are not sacraficing user experience in favor of some
> server processing cycles.

The example of a gallery doesn't really apply. If you were to create a
gallery you would not use the image/view/nid path to load the image but
rather the real path. The image/view/nid path is only used as a
simplified path for users and external application such as
Xinha/HTMLArea to link an image into content, without having to enter a
long and unknown path.

This is actually one of the reasons that I have proposed the creation of
a filter component for the image module so that you can enter a simple
path and it will return the actual path.

The use of the image/view/nid is a necessary feature for people who are
entering in content to simplify the entry. but will not be the main
method of entering a path to an image.
--
Gordon Heydon <gordon at heydon.com.au>